Path: Home >> Current Rugby >> Match reports>> Match reports 2011-12

Match Reports 2011 - 2012

Cwmgors v New Dock Stars 03/09/2011 W 8-0

The wet weather dictated the way the match was played. Cwmgors deservedly won the match 8 points to 0. We did most of the attacking, but the game was strewn with handling errors, due to the wet conditions. At half time we led 3 - 0, after a Daniel Pons penalty. Daniel Pons also scored the only try of the match after some good work from Steve Edwards who showed good strength in holding off his tackler before off-loading for Pons to score the try. Pons missed the conversion.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Stuart Morgan:Daniel Pons

Click here for pictures link

Tycroes v Cwmgors 10/09/2011 L 25 - 19

A match played in damp conditions, with a strong wind favouring Tycroes in the first half. It was a game we could have won, but some unfortunate lapses of concentration both sides of half time meant that we had too many points to make up. The half-time score was 15-10 to Tycroes. Daniel Pons scored all of our point with a try, a conversion, and four penalties.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Eryl & Delyth:Rob Clive

Cwmgors v Penlan 17/09/2011 W 16-12

Before our game against Penlan, Referee Julian Thomas led both teams in a minute’s silent tribute to the four miners who had tragically died in the Gleision Colliery disaster. This was another game played in wet conditions. This was our first win against Penlan since they joined the SWALEC League, and were promoted 2 years ago. To be fair both sides had a number of players unavailable, however it was a hard fought match, literally, on occasions. Our young pack played well against the more experienced opponents, and competed for everything. It is worth remembering that most of the forwards are only in their early twenties! Also, with a large number a backs unavailable, credit must go to those playing out of position, and doing such a good job.

The wet weather was a factor, with both sides being guilty of handling offfences. Daniel Pons opened the scoring with penalty. Penlan scored the first try, but failed with the conversion. Soon afterwards, Kieran Turner replied with our try, after gathering a well judged kick from Darren Howells. Daniel Pons kicked the conversion from close to the touch-line. In the second half, Penlan scored a converted try to give them a 12-10 lead. Daniel Pons kicked a further penalty to give us a one point lead at 13 -12. Some good kicking out of hand also helped to maintain the pressure on Penlan. With a few minutes to go Darren Howells succeeded with a drop goal. Penlan put on the pressure in the final minutes, but failed to score.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Tony Popple:Liam Jones

Alltwen v Cwmgors 24/09/2011 W 29-19

Once again a game played in wet conditions. Alltwen started the game strongly, and had accumulated 16 unanswered points in the first 20 minutes, with 3 penalties and a converted try. Cwmgors then began to wake up, and at half –time the score was 16 – 6, with Daniel Pons kicking 2 long range penalties.  In the second half, more penalties were awarded. Alltwen managed to kick one of theirs over, whilst Pons maintained his 100% record kick a further 3, to make the score 19 – 15 to Alltwen. During this period Alltwen managed to prevent Cwmgors scoring a try whilst down to 14 men, due to the sin binning of their captain for foul play. There were a number of flare ups during the game, with players reacting to niggles from the opposition.
During the final quarter Cwmgors began to apply more pressure, and captain Jamie Bradley scored a try, wide out on the right wing, with only a few minutes left to play. Pons converted the try to give Cwmgors the lead 22- 19 for the first time in the match. Towards the end of the game Alltwen attacked, and were going flat out for a try. Unfortunately for them, they lost the ball in Cwmgors’ 22, and tireless flanker Ethan Price broke out. It seemed as if he would go the length of the field himself, but was brought down by some good Alltwen chasing in the opposing 22. Fortunately for Cwmgors, winger Kieran Turner had been supporting Ethan all the way, and a pop pass resulted in him scoring his second try, in as many weeks, near the posts. Pons converted to maintain his 100% record, and to make the score 29-19 to Cwmgors. This was the final score of the match. The game finished soon afterwards with another flare up.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Stan & Barry:Cerith Dennard

Cwmgors v Ystradgynlais 01/10/2011 W 18-7

Cwmgors' first "dry" match of the season. Cwmgors led the match from start to finish. Two first-half tries from center Andrew Flynn and prop Rob Clive, along with a penalty and a conversion from Daniel Pons gave Cwmgors a 15 point lead. The last play before half-time resulted in a converted try for Ystradgynlais. The only score in the second-half was a penalty from Daniel Pons. Ystradgynlais tried to break through to gain a losing bonus point late on, but the Cwmgors defence held out. This was Cwmgors' fourth win from five matches.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Richie Davies:Rob Clive

Cwmgors v Crynant 15/10/2011 P

Match postponed

Cwmtwrch v Cwmgors 22/10/2011 W 13-6

Cwmgors were showed signs of their 2 week break in this match. The game started well for Cwmgors, with the visitors using the breeze and the slope to apply early pressure. However, poor handling on a number of occasions let Cwmtwrch off the hook. Against the run of play, it was the home side who went into the lead with a penalty.  Cwmgors replied with a penalty of their own from scrum-half Mathew Jones to even the score at 3 all. Just before the break Cwmgors were awarded a succession of penalties in the Cwmtwrch 22, but decide each time to go for the try, rather than take the 3 points.
Cwmgors finally scored their first try early in the second half. Wing Steve Edwards somehow managed to get involved in a driving maul to get the important touchdown. Cwmgors failed to convert the try. Cwmtwrch were showing more enterprise in the second half, aided by the wind and slope, and were frequent visitors in the Cwmgors 22. Despite the pressure, it was Cwmgors who scored next, again from a driving maul, this time scored by Rhodri Dennard. Cwmtwrch continued to press, but Cwmgors’ defence held firm. Eventually, with a few minutes left on the clock, Cwmtwrch were awarded a penalty, which they converted to earn a bonus point, and to make the final score 13 – 6 to Cwmgors.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Keith Davies (Sar):Darren Howells

Cwmgors v Baglan 29/10/2011 L 15-21

Once again a game played in wet conditions. Baglan were unable to field a front-row, so we had passive scrums from the start of the match. Given that Baglan have a strong set of backs, and we have developed a strong scrum, there are no prizes for guessing who came out best from this.
Given the stable scrum platform, Baglan started well and were soon on the scoreboard with a try and a conversion. Soon after, a penalty, made the score 10- 0 early in the game to Baglan. As the half progressed, Cwmgors came more into the game, and captain, Jamie Bradley, scored an unconverted try from a rolling maul. Cwmgors drew level with another unconverted try through No. 8 Tom Bartholomew, again after good work from the pack. On half-time Cwmgors should have taken the lead through prop James Varney. Unfortunately, the referee had moved to the wrong side of the ruck, and failed to see him ground the ball. During the first-half Baglan lost one of their forwards due to injury.
From the kick-off to the second-half Baglan broke through the middle and scored almost immediately, but failed with the conversion. They extended their lead with a further penalty, making it 18 – 10 to the visitors. Cwmgors came back, scoring another unconverted try through centre Gareth Amos. Baglan kicked another penalty to make it 21-15. Cwmgors were applying a great deal of pressure in the final 10 minutes, but failed to score.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Iorwerth Leonard: Rob Clive

Cwmgors v Glais (SWALEC Bowl) 05/11/2011 W 18-0

This was a much closer match than the score suggests. Although it was dry and sunny during the match, rain the previous day had made the pitch heavy. In the first half most of the attacking came from Cwmgors, but we failed to capitalise, and only lead 3 nil at half-time through a Daniel Pons penalty. In the second half, Glais' forwards became more prominent. However, Cwmgors extended their lead to 6 points, again through a Daniel Pons penalty. For most of the third quarter, Glais were camped in the Cwmgors 22, opting to kick for touch, rather than attempting the kick at goal.

It wasn't until the final 10 minutes that the first try was scored through Kieran Turner, by then playing out on the wing. Finally, Daniel Pons scored a try and conversion.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Gerwyn Leonard: Ethan Price

Llandybie v Cwmgors 12/11/2011 W 19 - 10

Llandybie took the lead with a penalty. Cwmgors scored a pushover try through on loan No. 8 Paul Caines. Mathew Jones converted. Desipte having a dominant scrum, Llandybie were next to score with a try and conversion just before half-time, to make it 10-7 at the interval.

In the second-half Cwmgors regained the lead through an unconverted try by center Gareth Amos. They followed this after good possession lead to felloww center Mike Hodges crashing over. The try was converted by Mathew Jones. An injury in the Llandybie front-row meant uncontested scrums during the last 10 minutes. Cwmgors came close to a bonus point try, but an inside pass by Kieran Turner failed to find a hand.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Alwyn and Lynne: Mark Evans

Cwmgors v Gowerton 19/11/2011 W 28 - 5

Finally, a winning bonus point! Cwmgors took the initiative to Gowerton and scored a try early in the match. Cerith Dennard scored after some good work by the forwards. The try was converted. A second converted try followed, again after good work by the forwards. Liam Jones was the player touching down. Cwmgors had further chances to extend the lead before half-time, but failed to add to the score.

In the second-half, Gowerton were the first to score, with a try in the corner, after a blind side move. They failed with the conversion. In the final quarter Cwmgors scored another 2 converted tries, both from the backs. Darren Howells was on hand to receive an inside pass to score the first, and Mike Hodges ran three-quarters of the length of the field, following a Rhodri Dennard pass, after Gowerton were turned over in the Cwmgors 22. Ben Phillips kicked the conversion, and seal the bonus point victory, consolidating our third place in the League.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Alun Jones: Mike Hodges


Glais v Cwmgors 26/11/2011 L 26 - 21

Another match played in wet conditions! Glais opened the score with an early penalty. Cwmgors soon replied with a Daniel Pons penalty, and went further into the lead with unconverted tries from Gareth Drewson and Phil Sparrow. Glais replied with a controversial penalty try, following a strong home scrummage, to make the score 13 all. A second Pons penalty gave Cwmgors a 16 - 13 half-time advantage.

Glais' forwards took contol of the second-half. They kept possesion and pressurised Cwmgors into conceeding two penalties and a converted try, in period which saw Cwmgors down to 14 men for 20 minutes, following successive yellow cards. This gave them a 26-16 lead going in to the last quarter. Cwmgors did come back into the match with a try from Mike Hodges, following yellow cards against Glais. Despite valiant efforts towards the end of the match , Cwmgors could not find a way through, and had to be content with a losing bonus point. Pictures

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Ian Fitzgerald: Carwyn Williams


Cwmavon v Cwmgors 10/12/2011

Failed to field a team. Walk-over.

New Dock Stars v Cwmgors 17/12/2011

Postponed. To be played later in season.

Cwmgors v Tycroes 07/01/2012 W 10-3

It was nice to have a dry day to play the game after all the recent rain. The sun even made an appearance for the first-half. Cwmgors also made a bright start, and after some excellent pressure were awarded a penalty, which Mathew Jones duely kicked to give us a 3 - nil lead. After a period of pressure from Tycroes who were making use of the strong breeze in their favour during the first-half, they were awarded a penalty. The successful kick saw the scores level at 3 all. A number of promising attacks from both sides came to nothing during the first half due, often enough, with the final pass going astray. late in the first half the Tycroes scrum-half was yellow carded following an obstruction from a kick and chase.

The second half again saw most the game being played at the school end, this time with Cwmgors attacking. Following an intellegent kick from outside-half Darren Howells, Mike Hodges managed to come between two Tycroes players and beat them to the touch down. Mathew Jones kicked the conversion from around the fifteen yard line. Despite late pressure from Tycroes, Cwmgors held out for a deserving victory over the League leaders. It was a good all round team performance. The pack played well, with plenty of dog. man of the match Darren Howells also managed the game well with some intellegent kicking and passing. It does not get any easier with second placed Penlan away next week.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Jeff & Susan: Darren Howells

Penlan v Cwmgors 14/01/2012 L 3-12

This was a hard fought and close gam, far closer than the score suggests. Although the weather was dry with some sunny intervals, it was a cold day with a bitter wind blowing diagonnally accross the pitch. It was nip and tuck throughout the first half, with both sides threatening, but failing to score. We could have been in the lead if 3 penalty kicks had been successful, but at half-time the score remained at 0-0.

We took the lead early in the second=half from a Mathew Jones penalty after Penlan were penalised for being off-side under their post after a period of pressure from Cwmgors. It remained at 3-0 for most of the second-half. However, penlan were awarded a dubious penalty try from a scrum, after it appeared that they lost control of the ball at the feet of their No.8. They also scored a second try following an attack down the blind side of a ruck soon after. Cwmgors had the opportunity to get within 7 points, but the long range penalty into the stiff breeze fell short.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Kim & Andrew: Darren Williams

Cwmgors v Alltwen 21/01/2012 W 5-0

Another hard fought game, as is usual in this fixture. The strong westely wind did not have as much of an influence on the result as expected. Both packs carried the ball well when playing into the wing, and neither side made as much use of it when playing with it. The only score of the match came in the first half, when we were playing into the wind. Flanker Ethan Price scored the try, after some good hands put him clear in the wing position, and managed to out-pace the Alltwen defence to touch down in the top corner. The conversion into the wind failed.

The game was mostly played between the 22s. There were some good back play from both sides on occassions, but a pass always seemed to go astray, or forward due to the wind. Alltwen did have a spell of pressure towards the end of the match, but Cwmgors' defnce held out for a well deserved win.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Catrin & Hywel: Liam Jones

Match picture

Cwmgors v Crynant 28/01/2012 W 38 - 22

Suprisingly this was a high scoring game considering the conditions. Cwmgors scorers were Steff Rees 1 try 4 conversions, Liam Jones 1 try, Carwyn Williams 1 try, Rob Clive 1 try, Daryl John 1 try and Lloyd Watson 1 try. At one stage during the last 15 min of the second half, we were down to 11 men, with 4 of our players in the sin bin, but still managed to hold out.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by John & Avril: Steff Rees

Ystradgynlais v Cwmgors 11/02/2012 W 16 - 6

On a sunny but cold day, Cwmgors opened the scoring with center Daryl John going over, wide out, after some strong running and good passing. Despite missing the conversion, Steff rees extended the lead to 8 points with a penalty before half-time.

In the second half Cwmgors scored an excellent unconverted try, involving man of the match Lloyd Watson, Steff Rees, and scorer Darren Howells. Ystradgynlais came more into the game after this, but their reward was a brace of penalties from Cellan Morgan. In the the final seconds of the match Steff Rees Kicked another penalty to ensure the win.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Colin Sparrow: Lloyd Watson

Match pictures

Crynant v Cwmgors 03/03/2012 W 19 - 6

On a cold and wet day, Crynant, with a strong wind at their backs, opened the scoring with a penalty. Cwmgors, through the boot of Steff Rees equalised the score with a penalty, and put the away side further ahead with another penalty mid way through the half. Crynant struck just befor half-time with a penalty of their own to make it 6 all at the changeover .

In the second half Cwmgors went into the lead almost from the kick-off, with a try from Steff Rees. Some good defence from Cwmgors in the second half prevented Crynant from crossing the line, despite some strong running from the home side. Cwmgors extended the lead through the boot of Steff Rees, and in the final few minutes an unconverted try from Steff Rees sealed the way, and a full house of points from the full-back.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Dai Mags Davies: Steff Rees

Cwmgors v Cwmtwrch 24/03/2012 W 37 - 19

Cwmgors were trailing at half-time, but came back strongly to win, with a bonus point fourth try near the end of the game. Cwmgors' points scorers were Darren Howells 2 tries, Mike Hodges 1 try, Ethan Price 1 try, Seff Rees 5 penalties and 1 conversion. Unfortunately, a numberf of players sustained injuries during the game, to add to our already long unavailable list

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Danny Williams: Darren Williams

Baglan v Cwmgors 31/03/2012 L 25 - 21

Similarly to the earlier fixture Baglan didn't couldn't field a front row, which played to their strength in the backs, and avoided any weakness they have felt in the scrum. The consequence was an open game, with their backs enjoying a plentiful supply of good quality ball which they exploited. Despite this handicap we put up a good effort, and could have won. As a club who have had to take the field in the past without a front row for genuine reasons, it is disappointing to realise that some clubs may exploit this ruling for tactical, rather than genuine reasons. Was it a coincidence that both times they have played us this season their front row players were unavailable? Who knows. Scorers for Cwmgors were Steff Rees 3 penalties, 1conversion, and Carl Carter 2 tries.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Brian Hogarth: Lloyd Watson

Cwmgors v Llandybie 07/04/2012 W 16 - 12

Before kick-off there was a minute silence a show of respect following the recent bereavement of former Cwmgors  Vice-chairman and Fixture Sec. Mal Jones. Llandybie played well in the first half, and perhaps deserved their 9- 3 lead at half-time. Steff Rees kicking Cwmgors' penalty.  From the kick-off, after some good initial work from the forwards, Steff Rees broke through and gave Gethin Bugler an inside pass, and he ran in the 25 meters unopposed. The conversion was missed. Cwmgors went into the lead with a try from Rob Clive and another penalty from Steff Rees. Llandybie scored a penalty, but despite their efforts, could not make up the points needed, to allow Cwmgors the win. In the final quarter Roger Bugler came on as a replacement, to partner his son Gethin, playing on permit from Brynaman. Unfortunately, Roger couldn't emulate Gethin's try scoring exploits. Click here for post-match picture

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Ian Rees: Steff Rees

Gowerton v Cwmgors 14/04/2012 L 17 - 16

A depleted side travelled to Gowerton, with many players unavailable due to injury and other commitments. In the end we were unlucky to lose, with Gowerton scoring a try, despite some heroic defence from Cwmgors, in the final moments. Even then, a possible penalty, not given by the referee, could have won the game, but the resulting drop-goal missed. Cwmgors scorers were a try by Andrew Flynn and 3 penalties and a conversion by Steff Rees, who is now top points scorer with 89 points.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Pete Smith: Cerith Dennard

Cwmgors v Glais 21/04/2012 W 20 - 10

A win in our last league game of the season. Two excellent first half tries by Gareth Amos and Ethan Price, converted by Steff Rees, who also added a penalty, gave Cwmgors a 17 - 0 lead at the interval. The Glais forwards came back into the game in the second half. Caron Jones opened the scoring in the second half with a penalty to make it 20 - 0. Glais' forwards then put on the pressure, but resolute Cwmgors defence kept them out, until late on in the game, when they manged to score two unconverted tries.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Dorian Jones: Gareth Amos

New Dock Stars v Cwmgors 28/04/2012 W 54 - 26

A 11 try spectacular to end the season. Seven tries for Cwmgors, and four for New Dock, as both sides threw the ball about in the their final game of the season. Cwmgors openened the score with a converted try following a quick tap penalty by Karl Carter early in the game. That was Cwmgors' only try before New Dock raced to a 19 - 7 lead, which was reduced to 19-14 at half-time. In the second half the cherries dominated the play and scoring, despite playinmg into the wind. Cwmgors' scorers were Ethan Price 2 tries, Andrew Flynn 1 try, Dan Ponds 1 try, Robert Clive 1 try, Darren Howells 1 try, Gareth Amos 1 try, and Steff Rees 1 try 7 conversions.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Barry & Stan: Ethan Price

Current Season Match Reports

Updated: Friday, August 30, 2013 13:46