Path: Home >> Current Rugby >> Match reports 2012-13

Match Reports

Cwmgors v Pontardawe 08/08/2012 - Match abandoned 5-10

This was a trial match split into 3 sessions. In a physical match, the game was abandoned during the third session due to serious injury to a Pontardawe player. We wish him well and a speedy recovery. Pontardawe won the first session 2 tries to nil, and Cwmgor won the second session, one try to nil.

Cwmgors v Birchgrove 22/08/2012 - W 17 - 7.

Another trial match split into 3 sessions. Cwmgors dominated most of the match, and ended the first session having scored 2 tries to nil, but failed with the conversion. Birchgrove scoed their converted try in the second session after an unexpected heel against the head. Although applying most of the pressure Cwmgors only managed to score one more try towards the end of the third session. This time the try was converted.

Cwmgors v Crynant 01/09/2012 W 38 - 5

Cwmgors started the game with a try in the first few minutes of the game, with Lloyd Watson scoring in corner. The game suffered from a number of handling errors from both sides in the first half, and it remained 5 – 0 for a long period, despite both sides having opportunities to score. Eventually, after a sustained period of pressure, the ball was passed wide again for Lloyd Watson to score his second in the same corner to give Cwmgors a 10 – 0 half-time lead.
At the start of the second-half, Crynant failed to kick the ball 10m. From the resulting scrum full-back Steff Rees made a break, and gave a pass to Lloyd Watson for his third try of the match. Steff Rees kicked the conversion. Cwmgors kept up the pressure. The forwards drove a maul well into Crynant’s 22, before releasing the ball for centre Jordan Davies to crash over. Steff Rees added the conversion.
Still maintaining the pressure, Cwmgors over threw a lineout in Crynant’s 22. This was collected by Crynant’s outside-half, we made a half break. Centre Mike Hodges managed to rip the ball from the maul and raced over for a try. Steff Rees again converted. Crynant started to exert some attacks of their own, and were camped in Cwmgors’ 22 for a time. However, Cwmgors managed to steal the ball and some quick passing saw the ball being moved wide by the backs, and eventually Mike Hodges scored his second try in the corner, with Steff Rees converting from the touchline.
Crynant kept on trying, and scored a consolation try in the final minutes to make the score 38-5.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Stewart Morgan: Lloyd Watson

Alltwen v Cwmgors 08/09/2012 W 12 - 28

Cwmgords were the first to score with an early penalty by Steff Rees. Much of the early play saw both sides probing for weakness, but a combination of good defence and poor handling meant that neither side could score. Cwmgors added to their score when a race for the ball following a kick ahead by Mike Hodges was won by Steve Edwards, and converted by Steff Rees. There then followed a purple patch for Cwmgors, who added two more tries from Lloyd Watson and Mike Hodges. Steff Rees converted one of the tries and added a penalty to make the score 25- 0 to Cwmgors at the interval.

Cwmgors added another penalty, through Steff Rees, soon after the restart, to make the score 28-0. That was the end of the scoring until the final 10 minutes. Alltwen keeping the ball in the pack most of the time, managed 2 tries and a conversion.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Delyth & Eryl: Mike Hodges

Glais v Cwmgors 15/09/2012 W 9-14

The early pressur came from Glais, but it was Cwmgors who scored the points in the first half. Two penalties from Steff Rees playing in an unfamiliar scrum-half role, and an excellent try from Lloyd Watson, which involved most of the back-line saw Cwmgors leading 11-0 at the break. In the secondhalf, some poor concentration, and some 50-50 decisions being awarded to Glais, saw the home side slot over 3 penalties to make it 9-11. However, most of the play in the later part of the game was played in the Glais half, and despite missing a couple of earlier penalties, scrum-half Steff Rees slotted over a penalty to make the final score 9-14.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Stan & Barry: Richard Greig

Cwmgors v Ystradgynlais 22/09/2012 W 36-0

The winning run continues with a bonus point victory over Ystradgynlais. Cwmgors applied the early pressure, but it was mid way through the half before we scored, with a try by Mike Hodges after a break by Steff Rees and a pop pass from Lloyd Watson. The lead was further extended through a Darren Williams try and Steff Rees conversion. Tom Bartholomew and Kieran Turner both scored two tries each, and Steff Rees converted two of the tries.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Keith (Sar) Davies: Tom Bartholomew

Cwmgors 2nd XV v Mumbles 2nd XV 29/09/2012 L 34-43

The seconds lost their first home match of the sesaon against Mumbles. It was a entertaining match as the scores suggest, with both sides prepared to move the ball. Some good performances came from both sides. Scorers and further report to follow.

Baglan v Cwmgors 06/10/2012 Postponed

Water on pitch

Man of the Match award, sponsored by :

Cwmgors v Cwmtwrch 13/10/2012 L 3-7

Although the match was played in the dry the rain that had fallen in the days before the match made the conditions difficult to play open rugby. Cwmgors dominated the scrums, and Cwmtwrch managed to dirupt our lineout. Most of the first half was pepperd with handling errors and kicking. It was scoreless for the first half hour, although Cwmgors had what looked to be a perfectly legitamate claim for a penalty try turned down by the referee. From a 5-meter scrum the Cwmgors pack had driven the Cwmtwrch scrum backwards, and they disintegrated, losing their binding. The referee decided that the ball wasn't grounded and couldn't award a penalty try, because it was the first scrum. To added injury to the decision he then decided to penalise Cwmgors for complaining. We did get on the scoreboard with a Steff Rees penalty to make it 3 nil at the break.

The second half was similar to the first. The only score comming from the ball being dropped during a Cwmgors attack. Cwmtwrch kicked the ball through several times, and won the frace to the touch down, which they converted.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Hywel & Catrin: Richard Greig

Banwen v Cwmgors 20/10/2012 W 14 - 64

The game was played with unopposed scrums, and Banwen played for most of the game with 14 men. Despite early pressure coming from Cwmgors, it was Banwen who scored the first try, which they converted. Soon afterwards, Cwmgors opened their account through Mike Hodges. The conversion failed. More pressure from the visitors resulted in outside-half Darren Howells cross over. This time Steff Rees converted to give Cwmgors the lead 7-12. Cwmgors scored two more tries in the first-half to make it 7-24 at half-time. The first when Darren Williams forced himself over, and the second saw Mike Hodges latch on to a fumbled catch from a kick to score his second. Steff Rees converted Hodges’ try.
Carwyn Williams opened Cwmgors’ account in the second –half, scoring in the corner. Steff Rees hitting the post with the conversion. Soon afterwards, Darren Williams scored his second, in almost the same place. This time Steff Rees’ kick was successful. Following some good passing, Kieran Turner took the ball to burst over. Steff Rees converted to make the score 7-43.
Banwen never gave up, and scored their second try after a driving maul. The try was converted.
Cwmgors went on to score three further tries, all converted by Steff Rees. The first from Karl Carter following a move started in their own half, Mike Hodges score his second with a fine run down the wing. Richard Greig scored a well deserved try after carrying, and dummying, well all afternoon.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Anthony Popple: Darren Williams

Cwmgors 2nd XV v Mumbles 2nd XV 27/10/2012 L 10-24

1st half Cwmgors 10pts 2 tries Cerith Dennarrd Mumbles 9pts 3 pen

2nd half Cwmgors 10pts Mumbles 24pts 3 tries Mumbles scored 3 late tries

Cwmgors v Cwmgwrach 03/11/2012 W 39-5

Game played on the Maerdy. A strong forward effort saw a comfortable Cwmgors win. Richard Greig scored the first try after some good work by the pack. Conversion was missed. Trystan Lewis scored the next, after taking the ball on the burst. Converted by Steff Rees 12 - 0. Liam Jones with a good driving run after line out steal made the score 17 - 0 at half-time.
Good scrummaging for Richard Greig to score his second and the bonus point try. Conversion was missed. 22 - 0
Trystan Lewis following quick pen and good passing. Con missed 27 - 0. Richard Greig scored his third try, again after some good work by the forwards. Conversion was missed 32 - 0. Cwmgwrach scored a try during one of their infrequent visits to the Cwmgors 22. Conversion was missed 32 - 5. Final word went to Cwmgors with a Gareth Drewson try, converted by Lee Evans. Full time. Cwmgors 39 Cwmgwrach 5

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Richie Davis: Richard Greig

Llandybie v Cwmgors 17/11/2012 postponed

Match postponed due yo waterlogged pitch

Cwmgors v Penybanc 08/12/2012 W 36-8

A well deserved win over leaders Penybanc, taking the visitors 100% record in the process. It was a good team performance. The forwards dominated up front, ensureing that any ball Penybanc won was on the back foot. The backs also did their bit cutting down any potential attack straight away.

The game was played on the Maerdy, with Cwmgors playing towards the waun in the first half. Steff Rees opened the scoring with a penalty following a Penybanc infringement. A few minutes later Cwmgors went further ahead when Darren Howells blocked a kick, and it stuck in his midriff. He ran the 30 or so meters to score a try, which Steff Rees converted. Penybanc opened their account soon after the restart with a penalty. Cwmgors were next to score with a Steff Rees penalty, before Penybanc managed to win some ball and win the chase to the touch down for their only try of the match. Two further penalties from Steff Rees made it 19-8 at half time.

In the second half the Cwmgors forwards really took control, and two tries from driving mauls, both to Richard Greig, underlined this dominance. Steff rees converted one of the tries. In final moments of the game, Cwmgors managed to score bonus point try through Lee Howells, following another charge down. Steff Rees' missed kick was the last act of the match.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Ian Fitzgerald: The Team


Llangadog v Cwmgors 29/12/2012 Postponed

Waterlogged pitch

Crynant v Cwmgors 05/01/2013 Postponed

Crynant have a re-arranged cup tie

Tycroes v Cwmgors 05/01/2013 Friendly L 19-11

Cwmgors started the better, and went into a deserved lead through a Steff Rees penalty. Tycroes then woke up and began to apply pressure. This eventually led to them scoring a converted try, and gave them a 7-3 lead. Soon after, Cwmgors came back with a move which saw much inter-passing over 50 meters, with second row Liam Jones crossing for an unconverted try. Cwmgors extended their lead with a Steff Rees penalty to lead 11 - 7 at half-time.

The second-half, played in fading light, was a stop start affair, with injuries and penalties interrupting play. Tycroes had most of the territorial advantage, and managed to score 2 tries, converting one, to give them a 19 - 11 victory.

Cwmgors v Alltwen 12/01/2013 W 36-0

Cwmgors played with the wind in the first half, and started well. Within 5 minutes of the kick-off Steff Rees, playing at outside-half, scored and converted a try to give the home side a 7 point lead. Within 5 minutes he extended that lead to 10 points with a penalty. Soon after Liam Jones charged down a kick on the Alltwen line, and wing Lee Howells dive on the ball to score. Steff Rees kicked the conversion. Just before half-time the Cwmgors pack drove Alltwen back 10 meters for No. 8 Richard Greig to score a push-over try. This gave Cwmgors a 24 - 0 lead at the interval.
It took Cwmgors another 20 minutes to score the bonus point try through Daryl John. The conversion was missed. Cwmgors kept the best try until the end. With 10 minutes to play, and Alltwen pressing in the Cwmgors 22, the forwards managed to win the ball, which was quickly spread wide along the back-line. It eventually reached Mike Hodges who ran for over 60 meters to score under the posts, and made for an easy conversion for Steff Rees. Due to a number of injuries to the Alltwen front-row, the final quarter was played with uncontested scrums.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Mike Jones: Richard Greig

Cwmgors v Glais 19/01/2013 Postponed

Match postponed.

Ystradgynlais v Cwmgors 26/01/2013 W 12 - 25

Cwmgors played with a cross wind slightly in their favour in the first-half, and No.10 Steff Rees made good use of this to find some excellent touch finders. Ystradgynlais started well and were encamped in the Cwmgors half early on. However, it war Cwmgors' Lloyd Watson who opend the score with a well worked try. Cwmgors went further into the lead following a good kick into the corner. Cwmgors won the line-out and Darren Williams was at the end of a driving maul to touch down. Steff Rees converted to make the score Ystradgynlais 0 Cwmgors 12. The pressure was soon back on from Cwmgors. They crossed the line twice, first through Richard Greig, and then Darren Williams, but the referee couldn't see the ball grounded, so awarded a 5m scrum on both occasions. From the resulting scrum the ball was passed along the back-line for Lloyd Watson to burst through and score his second try to make the score 0-17.
Ystadgynlais scored first in the second half, to make the score 5-17, following a dropped ball over the Cwmgors line. Rob Clive eventually gave Cwmgors their bonus point try, following some good driving work by both backs and forwards. By this time Cwmgors were down to 14 men. Ystradgynlais were next to score with a converted try from a quick tap penalty. With 5 minutes to go, Steff Rees extended Cwmgors' lead with a penalty following an Ystradgynlais infringement in their 22. This made the final score Ystradgynlais 12 Cwmgors 25.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Jeff & Susan: Robert Clive

Llangadog v Cwmgors 09/02/2013 W 5 - 36

This was Cwmgors' first ever match against Llangadog. Cwmgor had the best of the early encounters, and were applying pressure to the home side. Mike Hodges scored the first try after a good line out and drive by forwards. It was converted by Steff Rees. Llangodog then had a good period of play and crossed the line for an unconverted try to make it 5 - 7 to Cwmgors. Cwmgors were the next to score. James Varney touched down after a 22 meter drive from line out by the forwards. Steff Rees converted. Cwmgors' next try was a 75 meter interception by Mike Hodges. Lloyd Watson finished off a fine move started from Cwmgors' 22 for the bonus point try. Steff Rees received the ball from a scrum, and put in a cross kick which Daryl John caught. He made good ground before feeding Lloyd Watson who out paced the cover to score out wide. This made the score 5 - 24 at half-time.
It was 20 minutes into the second half before Daryl John scored from an interception outside the Llangadog 22. It was converted by Stef Rees. Daryl John scored his second try of the match following a strong run after the ball was passed accross the field. This made the final score Llangadog 5 Cwmgors 36.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Colin Sparrow: Ethan Price

Cwmgors v Baglan 16/02/2013 W 36 - 24

This was Cwmgors' first game against Baglan this season. Yet again Baglan did not field a front row against us.
Cwmgors kicked off playing towards the road, and had the best of early play. Cwmgors were awarded a penalty following a Baglan infringement at a ruck, which Steff Rees kicked to give Cwmgors an early lead. Within five minutes Cwmgors extended their lead after some good passing and a jinking from Mike Hodges saw him cross over for a try, which Steff Rees converted. We had to wait over ten minutes for the next try. The pack had driven over the line, but failed to ground the ball, and were driven back into the field of play by the Baglan forwards. From the resultant ruck, scrum-half Lee Evans saw a small gap and picked up and dived over in one movement. Steff Rees converted from near the touch-line. Within 5 minutes Cwmgors extended their lead after wing Gavin Madge received the ball, with several defenders in a line front of him. He saw a gap behind and collect his chip ahead to score and give Cwmgors a 22 – 0 lead. Just before half-time, and against the run of play Baglan received the ball from a poor Cwmgors lineout. They passed the ball along the line for their wing to score wide out. This made the score 22-5 at half-time.
The second half again saw Cwmgors pressing, and the pressure was rewarded when Mike Hodges broke through to score his second try, and gave Cwmgors the bonus point. Steff Rees converted.
Baglan came back into the match, and were awarded a bizarre penalty try. After some poor kicking from Cwmgors a forced clearance failed to find touch and was collected by the Baglan winger, who was tackled by Steve Edwards. However, he was deemed in front of the kicker, and the referee believed that a try would have been scored. The conversion was kicked to make the score 29 -12. Cwmgors extended their lead with their fifth try of the match. Full-back Lloyd Watson scored after some good early work by the forwards. Steff Rees converted. Cwmgors then believed that they had done enough and eased off. This resulted in Baglan scoring two tries in the final 10 minutes, despite being down to 13 men, because of injuries and no replacements being allowed due to their lack of a front row. The final score was Cwmgors 36 Baglan 24.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Alun Jones: Rhodri Rees

Cwmtwrch v Cwmgors 02/03/2013 D 8 -8

As expected this was a close encounter, even with half the pack, and several backs unavailable for Cwmgors. The weather was sunny but cold, but the game was hotly contested. It could be argued to a certain extent both sides cancelled each other out. Cwmtwrch kicked-off playing up towards Ystrad, and they had the early pressure, encamped in Cwmgors' 22. Cwmgors eventually broke the siege, and were encamped in Cwmtwrch's 22 for a period. However, neither side were able to score. It was half an hour into the game when Cwmgor finally scored when full back Lloyd Watson took the ball on the burst after some good work early on by the forwards, before the ball was passed out. This remained the only score of the half.
The second half was a repeat of the first, with both sides cancelling each other out. Cwmtwrch finally crossed the line 20 minutes into the half but failed with the conversion, making the score 5 all. Ten minutes from the end, Cwmtwrch thought that they had the decisive score with a successful penalty. However within 2 minutes Cwmgors had levelled the score when Steff Rees kicked a penalty. In the final minute Cwmtwrch were awarded a penalty, which would have won them the match, but the kick missed.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Ally & Lynn Howells: Steff Rees

Cwmgors v Banwen 23/03/2013 W 95 - 0

After the excitement of Wales' Championship win in the 6 Nations, it was back to Division 5 South West action. Cwmgors played towards the road with the wind behind them, on a cold but dry day. Banwen started the match with only 14 men. Banwen were unlucky in that they caught an on-form Cwmgors side.
The scoring started after 6 minutes with a Rob Clive try from a lineout take by Roger Bugler. Steff Rees converted. Three minutes later Jordan Davies picked up a dropped ball in the Banwen 22 to score. Steff Rees converted. Six minutes later Rhodri Rees scored after charging through on the burst. Steff Rees converted. Carwyn Williams was next to score, as the tail gunner of a driving maul. Steff Rees converted to make the score 28 - 0 and secured the bonus point. Karl Carter scored after a good move by backs on half way put him through. Steff Rees converted. Steve Edwards brought up the 40 points after a good weaving run by Ethan Price. Karl Carter scored his second after a quick free kick was taken on by forwards and passed along line. This made it 45 – 0 at the break.
Lloyd Watson made a good run for a try to bring up the 50. Steff Rees converted to make it 52 – 0. Rob Clive won the race after a kick and chase, and soon after scored his hat trick try, which Steff Rees converted. Daryl John scored the next with a good run down the wing. Steff Rees converted. Next was a try started from Cwmgors' 22m. A good break by Darren Howells for led to Jordan Davies score his secondd try. Next a 75m run led to a converted try. Jordan Davies was the next to scor for his hat trick. Daryl John scored the final try, which he also converted to make the score 95 -0.
Finally, despite the score, hats off to Banwen for never giving up. Pictures

Man of the Match award, sponsored by John & Avril Davies: Rob Clive

Cwmgwrach v Cwmgors 30/03/2013 Postponed

Match postponed due to a hard pitch.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by :

Cwmgors v Llandybie 06/04/2013 W 91-7

The game was played on a sunny day, with an easterly breeze, and at last it wass not too cold. The match was played with uncontested scrums, as Lladybie couldn't field a front row. Llandybie kicked off playing towards road with the breeze. Cwmgors had 2 chances to score but failed to finish, befor Richard Greig was driven over and Steff Rees converted. The pressure continued from Cwmgors but couldn't score more points until Mike Hodges ended off a move involving good passing and support. Steff Rees converted to make it 14 - 0. Soon after Mike Hodges scored his second. Again the move involved good handling and support. Steff Rees converted. The bonus point try came from Cerith Dennard. A stolen linout in own 22 was carried forward by Richard Greig and Rob Clive before the move was finished off. Steff Rees converted. Llandybie scored next, with some good individual work from their full back. With the conversion, it made the score 28 - 7. Mike Hodges scored his third try after some good interpassing. Steff Rees converted to make it 35 - 7. Steve Edwards finished a move from a quick tap penalty. The ball passed along line for him to cross in the corner. Steff Rees convertedto make the half time score 42 - 7.

Liam Jones scored a try soon after the restart. This was his first game back after injury. Steff Rees converted. Next to score was Daryl John. Steff Rees converted. Liam Jones soon scored his second try. Daryl John started it with a good run from own 22. Liam had 50m to go and along the way sold a dummy to the full-back. Steff Rees converted to make it 63 - 7. Further tries from Rob Clive (2), Lee Howells, and a second for Steve Edwards, and 100% kicking record from Steff Rees made the full time score Cwmgors 91 Llandybie 7. Cwmgors scored 13 tries to Llandybie's 1

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Colin and Karen Jones: Rob Clive

Penybanc v Cwmgors 13/04/2013 W 14 -18

Played on a wet day and with a swirling wind. Cwmgors played with the elements in the fisrt half. Despite exerting a great deal of pressure during the half, failed to score. Penybanc were awarded a number of penalties. These were mainly for off-side at the break down, and from the line-out. Penybanc kicked 3 of these, and also scored a good try in the corner. It came from a lineout and a good move in the backs created the space. Good passing put their wide man over. This gave Penybanc a 14 - 0 half-time lead.

Cwmgors supporters couldn't have been too confident at the start of the second half. However, the team steped up to the mark. Steff Rees found his kicking boots, and the defecit was down to 14-6. Again the Cwmgors forwards were putting on the pressure. Eventually a Penybanc player was yellow carded. Cwmgors were awarded a penalty try after a speculative kick ahead by Lloyd Watson was regathered. Lloyd was brought down just short of the line. A Penybanc player killed the ball, with several Cwmgors players ready to receive the scoring pass. This made the score 14-13. With 7 minutes to go the ball was won by Cwmgors and a blind side move was on. Good passing found the ball with hooker Carwyn Williams. He drew his man and passed to Mike Hodges, who still had work to do. He broke a tackle, and sped over in the corner. Despite their efforts Penybanc failed to score in the final minutes, comming very close on one occasion. The final score was 14-18 which meant that Cwmgors have done the double over leaders Penybanc.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Dai Mags Davies: Liam Jones & Lloyd Watson

Cwmgors v Llangadog 20/04/2013

The game was played on a sunny day at Parc-y-werin. Llangadog opened the scoring. The referee was playing advantage for a penalty, and the outside half attempted a drop at goal which flew over. It took another 5 minutes before Liam Jones drove over for an unconverted try to give Cwmgors the lead. The lead up to the next try saw some excellent passing before Daryl John went over. Steff Rees converted. Llangadog scored next with a penalty to make the score 12-6. Cwmgors maintained their pressure on Llangadog, and soon Rob Clive went over for his first try. Steff Rees converted. An injury to one of the Llangadog players meant that the scrums became uncontested. Just before half-time Mike Hodges went over to give Cwmgors their bonus point, and a 24-6 lead.
Llangadog started the second half quite well, but it was Rob Clive, with a 70m run, who scored the first try of the half. Steff Rees Converted. Soon after, Mike Hodges scored his second try. Steff Rees converted. Within 5 minutes Hodges scored his third try of the game. Again Steff Rees converted to make the score 45-6. Daryl John brought the 50 points with his second try of the match. A move from Cwmgors' own 22m lead to the next try scored by Lloyd Watson. Steff Rees converted. Lee Howells produced a good side-step on the halfway line, and sprinted the 50m to score the next try. Steff Rees converted. Daryl John produced a splendid 75m run fending-off and beating several defenders on the way to score the next try. Steff Rees converted, to make the final score Cwmgors 71 Llangadog 6.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Gerwyn Leonard: Daryl John

Cwmgors v Glais 23/04/2013 W 29 - 0

This rearranged match was a hard fought game. It was 0-0 for most of the first half until Steff Rees made a break for a try, which he also converted. This was the only score of the half.

Steff Rees extended the lead with a penalty to make it 10-0, and give Cwmgors some breathing space. The Cwmgors pack were pressurising the Glais line for long periods, but it was center Jordan Davies who emerged from the bottom of a maul to score the try which Steff Rees converted. Cwmgors had plenty of chances, but poor handling at crucial moments meant that the tries went begging. The next try came in a similar fashion to the previous one. This time James Varney was the try scorer. Cwmgors then scored the best try of the game. The ball went to hand, no mistakes this time, and involved several players including Daryl John, for top try scorer Mike Hodges to cross in the corner for the bonus point try. Steff Rees converted from the touchline to make the final score 29 -0

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Iorwerth Leonard: Jamie Bradley

Baglan v Cwmgors 27/04/2013 W 39 - 50

There were a number of unfamiliar faces playing for Baglan in this match, and not just those playing in the front row. We all knew that this would be a difficult match, and a potential banana skin. Their win over Cwmtwrch the previous week showed that. Baglan kicked off with the stiff breeze. They were the first to get on the scoreboard with a penalty. Cwmgors scored next when Richard Greig was at the bottom of a driven maul. Steff Rees converted. Steff Rees scored the next try when he dashed over to give Cwmgors a 3-12 lead. He was also the scorer of the next. His chip over the advancing Baglan back-line was gathered by Mike Hodges, who gave an inside pas for the try. Steff Rees converted his own try. Baglan scored the next 2 tries, converting the second to make the half-time score 15-19 to Cwmgors.
Cwmgors kicked off the second half, and soon scored again with Richard Greig once again at the end of a driving maul touching down. Steff Rees' conversion made it 15 – 26. However, mistakes by Cwmgors let Baglan back in it. They scored another two tries, and the conversion of the second of these gave them a 27-26 lead. The free scoring game continued, with wing Lee Howells receiving the final pass to touch down in the corner. With Steff Rees' conversion, Cwmgors regained the lead 26– 33. Richard Greig scored his third, a mirror image of the first two, and with Steff Rees' conversion Cwmgors' lead was extended to 27-40. Next to score was Baglan with a converted try. Steff Rees kicked a penalty to give Cwmgors a 9 point cushion, and ease the nerves of the away supporters. Three minutes from time Steff Rees intercepted a pass, and ran over half the length of the field to score his third try. His conversion made it 34-50. In the final move of the match scored their sixth try, which went unconverted. The final score was Baglan 39 Cwmgors 50. Baglan scored 6 tries, Cwmgors 7. Steff Rees contributed 30 points, and has now passed the 200 mark for the season. Currently he is on 225.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Brian Hogarth: Steff Rees

Cwmgwrach v Cwmgors 30/04/2013 W 6-37

This was physical encounter, with several big hits from both sides. Again several unfamiliar faces were present in the opposing side. Cwmgwrach opened the scoring with a well taken drop goal, before Steff Rees kicked a penalty to make it 3-3. Mathew Vickers was at the bottom of driving maul to cross for the first try. There was then a 25 minute delay due to a bad leg injury to the Cwmgwrach scrum-half. We wish him a speedy recovery. Following several infringements a Cwmgwrach player was yellow carded, and another joined him for showing dissent towards the ref. When the game restarted the ball found Steve Edwards on the wing, who crossed over forCwmgors' second try. Cwmgwrach then kicked a penalty. Just before half-time Richard Greig scored in his now trademark way of being the last man in a catch and drive. Steff Rees converted to make it Cwmgwrach 6 cwmgors 20 at the break.
Rob Clive with a strong run scored for the bonus point try, which Steff Rees converted. Permit player Lee Evans, crossed next, diving over close to a ruck on the Cwmgwrach line. The final try was scored by Lloyd Watson. He gathered a chip ahead from Lee Howells, after the centre made a break along the right touchline. This made the final score Cwmgwrach 6 Cwmgors 37. Cwmgors scoring 6 tries.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Dorian Jones & Kevin Lewis: Lee Howells

Crynant v Cwmgors 04/05/2013

Cwmgors kicked off playing into the wind, and were soon in the lead following another one of Richard Greig's tries from a catch and drive. Crynant were showing plenty of effort, and were to score next with a penalty, and following that with a try to take the lead 8 – 5. Their lead was short-lived however. Daryl John crossed wide out to retake the lead 8 – 10. Lloyd Wason caught a kick ahead by Crynant, and started a counter-attack. After his initial break he passed to Daryl John who beat several defenders before passing to Mike Hodges to score the try. Steff Rees converted to make it 8 -17 at the interval.
With the wind behind them in the second half Cwmgors pulled away. The first was a penalty try, awarded for collapsing a driving maul. Steff Rees converted. Next Rhodri Rees took the ball at an angle to beat the first line of defence and sprinted the 15 meters to the line. Caron Jones converted to make it 8 – 31. Mike Hodges scored the next, his second of the game. Ethan Price scored the next following some good handling and support play. Steff Rees converted to extend Cwmgors’ lead  to 8 – 43. James Varney emerged from the bottom of a pile of bodies to claim the next ry. Caron Jones converted to bring up the 50 points. Lloyd Watson scored the next following a good run down the left touchline. Darren Howells took a good pass from Richard Greig to sprint through a gap near the 10 meter line and score. Caron Jones converted to make the final score Crynant 8 Cwmgors 62.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Kim & Andrew Fairhurst: Ethan Price

Llandybie v Cwmgors 08/05/2013

Cwmgors were definitely up for this game. Llandybie kicked off into a stiff breeze, and showed some early promise. Some strong running and good ball retention saw them progress to towards the Cwmgors 22. However, once the ball was lost, the boot of Steff Rees pegged them back into their own 22. From there on it was mostly one way traffic. Richard Greig opened the scoring after a catch and drive from a lineout. Steff Rees scored the next, making a break at outside-half from a Cwmgors scrum. Next Daryl John latched on to a kick from Steff Rees to score. Further tries came from Daryl John again, prop Rhodri Rees. Steff Rees converted all 5 tries to make the score 0-35, with less than 20 minutes played. Next to score was Lee Howells in the corner. Lloyd Watson scored two tries, Daryl John, his third, and Jordan Davies also touched down before the interval. Steff Rees converted one of these. This made the score Llandybie 0 Cwmgors 64 at half-time.
Playing into the wind in the second half, Cwmgors were soon back on the try trail. Liam Jones was the first to score, followed by Mike Hodges for his first of the night. Finally, Jamie Bradley scored his first of the season, and like the proverbial bus, along came his second two minutes later. Mike Hodges scored his second of the night to increase his tally to 24 for the season. Most of the second half tries were scored out wide. As a result of this and the wind, none of the 5 were converted. The final try came to Llandybie with an individual run. The try was converted. The final score was Llandybie 7 Cwmgors 89. This was a brilliant team performance with everybody contributing to the excellent display of teamwork. The 14 tries to 1 result is a testament to that. An excellent final game, to round off an excellent season. Well done everybody.

Man of the Match award, sponsored by Danny Williams: The Squad

Current Season Match Reports

Updated: Friday, August 30, 2013