Path: Home >> Current Rugby >> Match reports

Match Reports

Penlan v Cwmgors 01/09/2018 W 10-19

The season opener was at fellow relegation team, Penlan. Cwmgors kicked off playing up the slope. Early on stand-in fly-half Paul Davies made a good break, before passing to Rob Clive who was up in support. He managed to out-sprint the defence to score out wide, to give Cwmgors a 5-point lead. Paul Davies extended the lead to 8 points with a penalty. Penlan hit back with a penalty of their own from the restart and took the lead shortly afterwards with a converted try. The Cwmgors scrum was pressurising Penlan, and just before the break Dylan Hills picked up from an advancing Cwmgors scrum for an unconverted try to give Cwmgors a 10-13.
With the slope and diagonal wind at their backs, most of the second-half was played in Penlan’s half. Despite coming close on several occasions, including crossing the line but were held up Cwmgors failed to score a try. They had to settle for 2 penalties from Paul Davies give them a 10-19 win.

Cwmgors v Abercrave 08/09/2018 L 21-29

After last week’s win at Penlan, Cwmgors were looking forward to their first home match of the season against Abercrave. The visitors kicked-off the match and were awarded an early penalty to give them a 3-point lead. Cwmgors replied almost immediately. The ball was passed out to left wing Kieran Owen near the half-way line. He outpaced the defence to score out wide to give Cwmgors a 5-3 lead. Abercrave retook the lead with a penalty from the restart. Cwmgors then retook the lead when Paul Davies kicked a penalty shortly afterwards. This was again was short-lived when Abercrave were awarded a penalty to make it 8-9 to the visitors. Despite most of the play being in the Abercrave half, Cwmgors couldn’t add to their score before the interval.

Abercrave extended their lead with an early penalty in the second-half. Soon after following some poor defending from Cwmgors saw them extend this lead with a try and conversion. Cwmgors reduced the deficit with a Paul Davies penalty. Again, some poor defending from the restart and following lineout gave Abercrave an unconverted try to make the score 11-24. Good driving work by the Cwmgors forwards finally paid off when Cerith Dennard crossed over for an unconverted try. With the score 16-24, Cwmgors were trying to spread the ball. However, this gave Abercrave an opportunity for an interception. Some good cover defence did force the try to be scored wide out on the right, so that the conversion missed. For most of the remainder of the game Cwmgors were pressing on the Abercrave line. Despite crossing the line several times they failed to ground the ball until the final moment when Aled Williams finally scored. The conversion would have given Cwmgors a losing bonus point. The 2 touch judges failed to agree whether the kick was over or not. Unfortunately for Cwmgors, we believe that the referee sided with the Abercrave touch judge, and did not award  the points, so the game ended 21-29 to Abercrave.

Previous Season Match Reports

Cwmgors v Ammanford II (WRU Bowl Rd 1) 15/09/2018 W 29-5

Cwmgors welcomed Ammanford 2nds in the 1st Round WRU Bowl fixture.  This could have been a potential banana skin for the home side. Ammanford kicked off and started well, applying pressure on Cwmgors. They were awarded an early penalty, but the kick failed to go over. They kept on attacking, but good defence by Cwmgors prevented them from scoring. It was Cwmgors who were the first to score. They won a lineout just inside their own half, and scrum-half Jake Coles made a good break, beating several Ammanford players, before giving the final pass to Mathew Lemon who was up in support to score the try. Paul davies’ conversion made in 7-0. Cwmgors’ second try came soon after. Sustained pressure from the pack eventually saw Jonathon Rees crash over for an unconverted try. Cwmgors’ third try of the half came when outside-half Paul Davies saw a gap in the Ammanford defence and he crossed over under the posts. His conversion made it 19-0. He extended the lead with a penalty later to give Cwmgors a 22-0 lead. Cwmgors kept up the pressure until the break but failed to score again.
Cwmgors were first to score in second half. Lloyd Watson intercepted a long pass from Ammanford, and he raced over to score under the posts, Paul Davies kicked the conversion. As the second half progressed, Ammanford were playing better, and most of the play was in the Cwmgors half. Good defence by the home side kept them at bay in the main, but eventually Ammanford managed to score an unconverted try. The final period was more of the same. Ammanford attacking, Cwmgors holding out. The game finished 29-5 to Cwmgors, who now progress to the second round of the Bowl.

Bridgend Sports v Cwmgors 22/09/2018 L 35-3

The wet weather made handling difficult and made the game a scrappy affair. Bridgend Sports kicked-off and had the early run of play but failed to cross over for a try. They opened the score with a penalty, and added another to give them a 6 point lead. Cwmgors were coming more into the game, mainly through driving runs by the forwards. However, 5 minutes before half-time 3 mistakes by Cwmgors due to the slippery conditions proved decisive. The first resulted in a penalty to increase Bridgend Sports’ lead to 9 point. The second saw Cwmgors fail to deal with a kick ahead from the restart which lead to a converted try. Finally, another mistake from the restart saw Bridgend Sports score another converted try. Cwmgors had gone from being 6-0 down, and well in contention, to being 23-0 down within those 5 minutes.
Cwmgors were awarded a penalty early in the second-half, which Josh Jones slotted over. Cwmgors’ forwards were making headway, but the weather was still making handling difficult, and spilled balls was making it a stop-start affair. With 10 minutes left in the game, Bridgend Sports eventually crossed for a converted try. They added an unconverted try a few minutes later to give them a bonus point, and the final score 35-3.

Cwmgors v Glais 29/09/2018 W 49-3

The difference in weather between this Saturday and last Saturday was marked. Whereas last week’s wet weather lead to poor handling and mistakes, Saturday’s fine weather saw a marked improvement in handling skills. Cwmgors soon had Glais under pressure, and Paul Davies saw a gap which he burst through to score a try, which he also converted. Cwmgors increased their lead shortly after, this time it was Mathew Lemon forcing himself over for the try. Paul Davies converted. Next to score were Glais. They were awarded a penalty during a rare visit to the Cwmgors half. Cwmgors had the chance to cancel this score when they were awarded a penalty. Unfortunately, the kick missed. Cwmgors kept pressing, and showed good handling skills, especially in offloading before the tackle. Glais’ defence was holding out however. Cwmgors’ Steff Stone finally broke through to score a try on his debut. Paul Davies’ conversion made it 21-3 at the interval.
Cwmgors scored their fourth try early yin the second half, when Mathew Lemon crossed for his second try. Mathew Birt added the conversion. There then followed a sustained period of Glais pressure. Most of the next 20 minutes was played in the Cwmgors half. Unfortunately for Glais they found the home defence impossible to crack. Cwmgors did eventually regain the initiative, and Paul Davies ran through to score his second try. His conversion made it 35-3. Cwmgors pressure led to an attacking 5 metre scrum. No. 8 Dylan Hills picked up and forced himself over with Glais defenders on his back. Paul Davies converted. Towards the end of the game good handling by both forwards and backs saw the ball moved wide to create the overlap for Cerith Dennard to score Cwmgors’ seventh try of the match. Paul Davies converted to make the final score 49-3. Finally, fair play to Glais, who never gave up throughout the game.

Cwmgors v Betws (WRU Bowl Rd 2) 06/10/2018 W 21-18

The game was played with unopposed scrums from the start, as Betws did not have a full front row, and it took some time for Cwmgors to become accustomed to it. Betws took the early lead with a penalty, but Cwmgors equalised 10 minutes later, and then shortly after, took the lead with 2 Paul Davies penalties. Towards the end of the half Cwmgors were pressing in Betws’ 22, and were rewarded when scrum-half Mathew Birt saw a gap on the fringes of a ruck and darted over for a try. Paul Davies’ conversion made it 13-3 to Cwmgors at the break.
Betws had most of the territory early in the second-half, but could not transform pressure into points. Cwmgors were first to score when Keiron Ace was put through to cross over for an unconverted try. Betws came back  with a try wide out on the right, and followed it up with a penalty to bring difference 7 points at 18-11. The momentum of the game had changed in Betws’ favour by now. However, Cwmgors raised their game, and were now playing in Betws’ half. Cwmgors had a chance to extend the lead, but the penalty went wide. With the game now in time added on for stoppages, and with Cwmgors camped in Betws’ 22, it looked as if the game was over. Cwmgors, trying to score another try, won a ruck, and decided to give a long pass out wide. Unfortunately for them it was intercepted by Betws’ No 10 who ran from inside his own 22m to score under the posts. The conversion made it 18 all. Most of those watching were preparing for extra time. There was a final twist in the tale. From the kick-off Cwmgors maintained the pressure, and kept Betws in their own half, and with a few minutes left they were awarded a penalty which Paul Davies kicked to retake the lead. From the restart Cwmgors controlled the ball for the remaining minute to win the game 21-18.

Pyle v Cwmgors 13/10/2018 L 31-16

Despite Storm Callum the conditions at Pyle were good, apart from a strong crosswind. Cwmgors kicked off playing down the slope, and were showing early promise, but it was Pyle who scored first. Pyle’s main tactic on the day was for their forwards to drive up the middle or around the fringes. In one such move, some poor tackling gave their forwards the momentum necessary to cross over for a converted try. Shortly afterwards Cwmgors were awarded a penalty near Pyle’s 10m line, but the kick went wide. Both sides were using the forwards to carry the ball, but in general both defences were holding out. Whereas Cwmgors couldn’t quite make the break through, Pyle succeeded once again in their drive to score an unconverted try. Pyle were penalised in their own 22 during a Cwmgors attack. This time Paul Davies kicked the point to make it 12-3. Cwmgors maintained the pressure on Pyle, up until the break, but couldn’t convert the pressure into points.

Cwmgors were soon on the attack in the second half, and another Paul Davies penalty made the score 12-6. Unfortunately for Cwmgors, and to some extent against the run of play Pyle scored a converted try again using their forwards to batter through. A Pyle player was then yellow carded for some foul play. This was then turned into a red card, in response to the player’s reaction towards the referee. Cwmgors were now on the attack. A catch and drive from a lineout close to the Pyle try line saw Johnny Hills score an unconverted try.   Pyle were not giving up, and they were next to score with an unconverted try. Neither were Cwmgors giving up. They were awarded a penalty in Pyle’s 22. Scrum-half Mathew Birt took a quick tap and he fed Johnny Hills to cross for his second try. The missed conversion made it 24-16. Pyle, however had the final say a clean break by their outside half saw him score under the posts. The conversion made it 31-16. In the final 10 minutes, both sides tried to add to their score, but the defences held firm. Pyle remain unbeaten at the top of the league.

Vardre v Cwmgors 13/10/2018 L 76-11

The fine weather suited Vardre’s open style of play. Vardre took the lead when they kicked an early penalty. Cwmgors’ Mathew Birt made it 3 all a few minutes later when he slotted over a penalty. Vardre then scored the first of their tries, after exploiting an overlap. Despite the score line, Cwmgors did have their fair share of possession and territory. Cwmgors were attacking in Vardre’s 22, when they lost the ball. Vardre ran it more or less from their own line, and outflanked the Cwmgors defence to score a converted try. From the kick-off Vardre spread the ball wide to score another converted try by exploiting an overlap. Cwmgors were next to score through another Mathew Birt penalty. Vardre’s next try was also by outflanking Cwmgors’ defence. The conversion made it 29-6. On the stroke of half-time Vardre were awarded a penalty, which they kicked to touch. From the line out, they drove over for a converted try to make the score 36-6 at the break.
Vardre received the kick-off to the second half and passed the ball wide. Again, an overlap appeared to allow them to score a converted try. The next 20 minutes was scoreless, with both sides having periods in attack. However, it was Vardre who broke through to score another converted try. Cwmgors were still having a fair share of possession and field position. This eventually told when after a series of drives Dylan Hills crossed over for an unconverted try to make the score 50-11. Vardre hit back almost immediately with another converted try. They finished off scoring another 3 tries in similar style, converting 2 of them to make the final score 76-11. Vardre were the better side, showing good handling and fitness. However, Cwmgors did have their fair share of possession and field position. The difference was, when Vardre had possession they looked as if they could score from anywhere, and unfortunately for Cwmgors on the day they did.

Cwmgors v Tonmawr 24/11/2018 W 45-30

The match kicked-off at the earlier time of 2pm in order to finish in time to watch the Wales v South Africa game later in the afternoon. Tonmawr had the early initiative and scored an unconverted try from a catch and drive from a line-out close to the Cwmgors line. Cwmgors were next to score when Cwmgors drove Tonmawr back in the scrum to win the ball against the head. A series of pick and drives followed and was finished off when Dylan Hills crossed for a try which Mathew Birt converted. Tonmawr regained the lead with 2 penalties to make it 7 – 11 to the visitors. Cwmgors soon hit back when Jonathan Rees crashed over after a good series of drives from the forwards. Mathew Birt added the extra points to make it 14-11. Cwmgors increased their lead a few minutes later. Cwmgors stole the ball over near the half-way line and the ball was passed out wide for wing Louis Ford to cross near the corner. Again, Mathew Birt converted. Birt had a chance to increase the lead with a penalty, but the kick went wide. However, within minutes Jordan Roderick scored a try for Cwmgors following some good driving work by the forwards. Mathew Birt converted to make it 28-11. At the end of the half Tonmawr were again penalised. Mathew Birt kicked the penalty to give Cwmgors a 31-11 lead at the interval.
Tonmawr started the second half strongly and were rewarded withy a converted try following good driving play by their forwards. Cwmgors scored next when centre Mike Hodges saw a gap in the Tonmawr back line and scored near the posts. Again, Mathew Birt converted. Tonmawr were applying more pressure at this time, with some good kicking to the corners.  They eventual broke through following some weak tackling, and with the conversion, made it 38-25. They were next to score again with a try wide out but missed the conversion to make it an 8-point gap between the teams, with less than 10 minutes left in the game. By now the Cwmgors supporters were becoming nervous as Tonmawr’s tails were up. Cwmgors made the game safe 5-minutes from time when a length of the field move with several players supporting well and offloading saw Mike Hodges cross over for a try, which outside-half Sion Thomas converted. The game finished 45-30. In an entertaining game Cwmgors scoring 6 tries to earn a bonus point. Tonmawr also scored 4 tries to earn a bonus point. Man-of-the-match Mathew Birt scored 15 points with the boot.

Cwmgors v Nantgaredig (WRU Bowl Rd4) 08/12/2018 L 7-43

Nantgaredig kicked off with the advantage of a strong wind. The early encounters were mostly amongst the forwards, with both packs evenly matched. Nantgaredig, after passing the ball wide and putting a clever grubber kick through won the race for the touchdown in the right corner. They converted to make it 0-7. Nantgaredig made good use of the wind to pin Cwmgors in their own half, and they extended their lead with a penalty to make it 0-10 half way through the half. Shortly after they were awarded another penalty when Cwmgors were penalised for handling in the ruck. However, this time they hit the post. Cwmgors were defending well to keep the visitors out. However, during stoppage time, a missed tackle by Cwmgors saw Nantgaredig end the half with a converted try to give them a 0-17 lead.
Nantgaredig scored another converted try early in the second half. From being only 10 points down a minute before the interval, Cwmgors were now 24 points down 5 minutes into the second half. Cwmgors did hit back. Following good driving work Rob Clive crossed over for a try which Paul Davies converted. Nantgaredig began to run the ball more into the wind. A missed tackle by Cwmgors saw them extend their lead with another converted try. Their next try came with a clever chip over the Cwmgors defence in their own half. The ball was caught and Nantgaredig crossed under the post for another converted try. Nantgaredig scored their final try with the last move of the game. It went unconverted to make the final score 7-43. We wish you all the best in the next round of the Bowl.

Cwmgors v Neath Athletic 16/02/2019 W 25-18

Neath Athletic kicked-off and had the first chance to open the score. Unfortunately, the long-range kick fell short. Cwmgors had the next chance, bur their kick was blown wide by a deceptive cross wind. Against the run of play Neath Athletic won a turnover in their own 22 and exploited the blind side to score70+ meters up the field. The try went unconverted. Cwmgors had a chance to reduce the deficit with a penalty, but again the cross wind pushed it wide. Eventually, Cwmgors’ pressure paid off when following good driving work by the forwards, full-back Owen Davies crashed over for an unconverted try. Another penalty for Cwmgors was pushed wide by the wind, before Mathew Lemon crossed over to give Cwmgors the lead. Paul Davies’ conversion made it 12-5 at the interval.
Neath Athletic were first on the score board in the second half. Their penalty made it 12-8. Soon after, a reliving kick saw a Cwmgors player being isolated, and the turnover resulted in a converted try for Neath Athletic. A Paul Davies penalty made it 15 all, but a Neath Athletic penalty saw them regain the lead. Cwmgors had the chance to draw he match even, but the penalty went wide. Eventually, Cwmgors’ pressure paid off and Tom Lewis crossed over for a try under the posts following good work by the forwards. Paul Davies’ conversion made it 22-18. Another successful penalty extended the score to 25-18.  Despite some dangerous breaks by Neath Athletic, this was the final score.

Tonmawr v Cwmgors 02/03/2019 L 29-7

Tonmawr kicked-off into the strong wind. Tonmawr’s tactics was to keep ball in hand playing into the wind, and make use of their strong pack. It paid off mid-way through the half when they scored 2 tries within 3 minutes of each other. The first through the pack, which they also converted, the second when a missed tackle saw them break from their own half to score in the corner. It took Cwmgors a long time to get in to the match. Towards the end of the half Cwmgors managed to gain field position in their opponents 22. The pressure eventually paid off when Caron Jones playing in the unfamiliar outside-half position broke through their defence, and offloaded to centre Mathew Lemon to score under the posts. The conversion by Mathew Birt made it 12-7 at the interval.
Tonmawr made good use of the wind in the second half to gain good field position. They scored a converted try through their strong scrum, and added another try mid-way through the half to give them a 24-7 lead. Cwmgors did come back at them, and were putting pressure on their line. Johnny Hills did cross over, but the referee adjudged that he was held up. Yet another decision going against Cwmgors in the game. In the last move of the game Tonmawr broke out to score an unconverted try in the corner.

Cwmgors v Aberavon Green Stars 23/03/2019 L 20-38

Aberavon Green Stars kicked-off and took an early lead when Cwmgors were penalised by the referee. They extended the lead when their dangerous backs broke through to score in the left corner. Cwmgors kicked a penalty through Mathew Birt, but soon afterwards Green Stars restored a 8 point lead with a penalty going over off the upright. A good snipping run by Rob Jones near the line gave Cwmgors their first try. Mathew Birt’s conversion made it 10-11. Green Stars’ dangerous backs hit back almost immediately, this time crossing over in the right corner. The conversion succeeded, and another penalty just before the break made the score 10-21.
Some poor defending saw Aberavon Green Stars score first in the second half with a converted try. Cwmgors then had a good period of pressure which eventually saw Rob Clive cross over for a try which was converted by Mathew Birt. A penalty by Mathew Birt made it 20-28. However, that was the last score from Cwmgors. Aberavon Green Stars kicked a penalty, and just before full-time they scored a converted try to make it 20-38 and  give them a bonus point.

Bryncoch v Cwmgors 30/03/2019 L 62-28

Bryncoch kicked-off, and a Cwmgors fumble gave them an attacking lineout on the 22 meter line. Bryncoch won the lineout and a neat move bringing in the blind side wing saw them cross under the post for a converted try. From the restart Bryncoch ran the ball back at Cwmgors, and the move lead to another converted try. With only 3 minutes on the clock, Cwmgors were 14-0 down. A better kick-off and chase from Cwmgors saw them have an attacking base in Bryncoch’s half, and within 3 minutes of conceding their second try Cwmgors scored their first try when Mathew Lemon was put into space. Mathew Birt’s conversion made it 14-7. Bryncoch were next to score. From a lineout in Cwmgors’s 22, they executed a catch and drive for a converted try. They extended their lead when their centre put through a grubber kick which Cwmgors’ defence failed to deal with, allowing their wing to cross in the corner.  The conversion failed after hiting the upright. Five minutes later they scored another unconverted try in the same corner. This gave them a 31-7 lead at halftime.
Bryncoch were first to score in the second half. Cwmgors were attacking but lost the ball in Bryncoch’s 22. Bryncoch ran the ball back at Cwmgors, and some good inter-passing, although a couple looked slightly forward,  saw them score an unconverted try. Cwmgors hit back when some good driving runs by forwards and backs saw Mathew Lemon score his second try. Mathew Birt’s conversion made it 36-14. From the restart Bryncoch’s lively backs ran the ball back and scored another unconverted try. Despite the impression given by the score line, Cwmgors did have a fair amount of possession and territory. After Cwmgors were awarded several penalties close to the Bryncoch try-line, Mathew Lemon managed to cross for his 3rd try of the match, and Mathew Birt kicked his third conversion. Some poor tackling saw Bryncoch break out of their own half to score another converted try to make it 48-21. From the kick-off Bryncoch ran it back, and again poor tackling saw them add another converted try. Again, from the restart they ran it back to score another converted try to make it 62-21. Cwmgors were to have a final fling. A quick tap penalty near Bryncoch’s try-line saw the ball passed out to Dylan Hills who scored Cwmgors’ fourth try for a bonus point. Mathew Birt maintained his 100% kicking record with a successful conversion to make the final score 62-28.

Neath Athletic v Cwmgors 06/04/2019 W 28-31

In the ninth and tenth place derby, Cwmgors kicked-of, but it was Neath athletic who were first to score, with an unconverted try in the corner less than 5 minutes into the game. Cwmgors hit back soon after. Mathew Lemon made an initial break, and the ball as recycled and passed out to Louis Ford who touched down in the corner. Mathew Birt converted to give Cwmgors a 5-7 lead. Cwmgors increased their lead when Johnny Hills won a lineout close to the Neath athletic line. The ball was driven on, and a pop pass back to Johnny Hills saw him score a try. Neath Athletic reduced the lead to 8-12 when Cwmgors were penalised under their posts. Cwmgors were keeping the pressure on. From a scrum close to the Neath Athletic line, Dylan Hills picked up, and drove across for a try, which Mathew Birt converted. Cwmgors were pegged back with a Neath athletic penalty, and some poor tackling saw Neath Athletic score a converted try to make it 18-19. Cwmgors were to have the last word in the first half. Good driving work by the pack saw Dylan Hills cross over for his second try. Mathew Birt’s conversion made it 18-26 at the end of the first half, which had lasted almost 50 minutes.
Neath athletic were first to score in the second half, with a try in the corner, which they failed to convert. With the score 23-26. Later, they had the chance to draw even, but a penalty attempt failed. They did succeed in scoring an unconverted try to give them the lead 28-26. Things didn’t look good for Cwmgors at this time as they were reduced to 14 players due to injuries, and all replacements having been used. However, they didn’t give up. With about 10 minutes left on the clock, they were awarded a series of penalties for scrum offences close to Neath Athletics’s line. Richard Hills picked up from the final one to force himself over for an unconverted try to make it 28-31, to ensure all the Hills’ had scored in the game. With 5 minutes to go, a further injury saw Cwmgors reduced to 13 men. Despite this, they held on to secure a bonus point win. Neath Athletic also gained 2 bonus points.

Cwmgors v Bryncoch 27/04/2019 W 16-13

Bryncoch kicked-off playing into the strong wind, and had the better of the early encounter. Cwmgors however, used the wind to relieve the pressure, and were soon on the score board with a Mathew Birt penalty. Bryncoch hit back almost immediately. A short pass from their outside-half put their centre through a gap and he raced over to score an unconverted try wide out on the right. Mathew Birt put Cwmgors back into the lead with another penalty. With the advantage of the wind most of the game was being played in the Bryncoch half. Cwmgors lost the ball in Bryncoch’s 22, and they kicked the ball into midfield. A Bryncoch player regained the ball, and the ball was passed wide, and the winger scored another unconverted try. They increased their lead with another penalty before the interval to make it 6-13. Considering that the wind advantage was with Bryncoch in the second-half, it did not look promising for Cwmgors.
However, Cwmgors picked up their game in the second-half. An early Mathew Birt penalty made it 9-13. With several forwards carrying well, Cwmgors were keeping Bryncoch despite the wind. From an untidy lineout in the Bryncoch half, Cerith Gibson picked up the ball and ran through a gap. The ball was recycled quickly from the ruck which followed. Outside-half Ceri Palmer made a break and passed on to Mathew Lemon to score under the posts. Mathew Birt’s conversion made it 16-13. There was still a long time left, in a half which lasted more than 50 minutes, but Cwmgors’ defence held out for the win.

Aberavon Green Stars v Cwmgors 04/05/2019 L 21-13

Cwmgors kicked off playing into the wind. Aberavon Green Stars made good use of the wind early on, and went into a 3-0 lead with a penalty from a Cwmgors lineout offence. Soon after, a clever chip over the advancing Cwmgors back line by the Aberavon Green Stars outside half saw them win the race for the ball and score a converted try. Cwmgors were next to score when Mathew Birt kicked a well-judged penalty into the wind. Both sides were cancelling each other out for large parts of the first half. However, just before halftime, Cwmgors broke the Aberavon Green Stars defence. Dylan Hills carried the ball well before Carwyn Williams received the pass to score a try. Mathew Birt’s conversion made it 10 all at the break.
Aberavon Green Stars were caught offside early in the second half, and Mathew Birt’s penalty gave Cwmgors a 10-13 lead. His next attempt came when Aberavon Green Stars were penalised in the scrum on the half-way spot. Despite the wind, the kick fell short. A successful Aberavon Green Stars penalty made it all square when Cwmgors were caught offside. Mathew Birt’s next penalty attempt also went wide after Aberavon Green Stars were penalised in the scrum. With 10 minutes to play Cwmgors were penalised for a high tackle. They regained the lead with a successful penalty. In the final minutes of the game Aberavon Green Stars squeezed over for an unconverted try in the left corner to make the final score 21-13, and deny Cwmgors a losing bonus point.

Cwmgors v Swansea Uplands 11/05/2019 L 24-25

Swansea Uplands kicked-off the final game of the season for both teams. Cwmgors started best and were soon 7-0 up when some good driving work by the forwards was finished off by Johnny Hills. Mathew Birt's converted. There then followed a sustain period of pressure by Swansea Uplands, but they could not score. Cwmgors had the next opportunity to score, following a high tackle by a Swansea Uplands player, but the kick was missed. Shortly afterwards, S Swansea Uplands' pressure finally paid off when they crossed for an unconverted try. They went into the lead when they kicked a penalty on the stroke of half-time.
Swansea Uplands had the best of the early play in the second-half, but couldn't break through Cwmgors' defence. Ironically, they scored their next try when Cwmgors were pressing inn their half. They broke through in midfield and ran over 70 meters for a try under the posts. The easy conversion made it 7-15. Cwmgors replied with a good try themselves. The ball was passed out to winger Josh Davies who beat several defenders before giving an inside pass for centre Ceri Palmer to score an unconverted try. Unfortunately for Cwmgors, Swansea Uplands hit back almost immediately. A Cwmgors lineout was lost, and the ball was knocked down to Swansea Uplands' scrumhalf, standing in the hooker position. He beat several defenders before touching down under the posts to make the conversion an easy one. Swansea Uplands now led 12-22. Cwmgors didn't give up. A kick into Cwmgors' 22 was gathered by Sion Thomas who started a counterattack he linked up with his support and the good passing saw the ball passed out to the wing before being passed back inside. The final pass was taken by Mathew Lemon. The conversion was unsuccessful, but with less than 10 minutes left, at 17-22 Cwmgors were back in it. Their hopes took a knock when Swansea Uplands extended their lead with a penalty a few minutes later, but again Cwmgors didn't give up. They were pressing in Swansea Uplands' 22, and with a couple of minutes left Rob Clive scored a try following a series of good short inter-passing. Mathew Birt took a drop-kick for the conversion, and it was deflected over the bar by a Swansea Uplands player attempting to charge down the kick. With the score now 24-25, Cwmgors worked their way back into Swansea Uplands' half, but with time being up, they couldn't afford a slip up. Unfortunately, Cwmgors were penalised and Swansea Uplands kicked the ball safely over the touchline from the penalty.

Season 2017 - 2018 Match Reports

Season 2016 - 2017 Match Reports

Season 2015 - 2016 Match Reports

Season 2014 - 2015 Match Reports

Season 2013 - 2014 Match Reports

Season 2012 - 2013 Match Reports

Season 2011 - 2012 Match Reports

Updated: Sunday, May 12, 2019